Classics

Caroline Bartlett ’14

I just completed my first year of the Match Teacher Residency in Boston at Match High School, a charter school near BU. In addition to working with freshmen as a humanities tutor this past year, I completed the first year of coursework for my Masters in Effective Teaching. In the fall, I am staying on at Match as the AP Language and Composition teacher for juniors and seniors. Though I am teaching English (my other major at Bowdoin), the work I did as a Classics major has already proven enormously helpful as I begin my teaching career. The course I will be teaching in the fall hinges on writers’ craft and rhetorical argument, two aspects of writing I spent a significant amount of time thinking about in my Classics courses while at Bowdoin. I also get to tie in mythology more than I was expecting, which students find thoroughly entertaining. Above all, the love of literature and etymology I got to explore deeply as a Classics major is a large part of what makes my job so enjoyable and engaging. Plus, it’s always fun to write Greek on the board and have students try to guess what it says.

thumb: