Classics

Darian Reid-Sturgis ’09

Since Bowdoin I have been teaching Classics full time. I spent my first year teaching Latin at Kimball Union Academy in Meriden, NH. Since then I have returned to my alma mater, Roxbury Latin, and have finished my 5th year as a member of the Classics department, teaching all levels of Latin, including AP, as well as Greek I. This past year I was named to the John P. Brennan Chair in Classics at a ceremony at which Professor Boyd was the keynote speaker

Reid-Sturgis1

Outside of the classroom I have been able to maintain my passion in athletics coaching football at various levels, JV basketball, and Varsity Track. I have also been able to travel to Greece and look forward to travelling to Rome during the upcoming spring.

Reid-Sturgis4

During the summers I am pursuing a Master’s in Liberal Arts at St. John’s College. It is a lively program which engages in the Great Books pedagogy. Although in translation, the curriculum is a classicist’s dream!  The reading list includes various works from Aeschylus, Euripides, Sophocles, Homer, Euclid, Herodotus, Thucydides, Tacitus, Plutarch, Aristotle, Plato etc. Previously I had spent a summer at Columbia’s Klingenstein program for teachers where I was able to re-link with Mary Kelly ’10.

One of my great pleasures has been heading the 8th grade class and spearheading several community service initiatives, such as our semi-monthly Food Pantry visits and our Thanksgiving Pie Drive. Each year we participate in Boston’s Walk for Hunger, the largest single day annual fundraiser for hunger in the state. Over the past 2 years we have raised over $20,000 for this great cause.

Reid-Sturgis3

Recently I was featured on New England Cable News’ (NECN) segment “Making the Grade” representing the Steppingstone Foundation, another program dear to my heart. http://www.necn.com/news/business/Making-the-Grade-Steppingstone-Foundation-277690091.html

thumb: