Classics

Chantal Crawley ’10

I graduated from Bowdoin in 2010, majoring in Classical Studies and minoring in Latin. I then went to law school at Michigan State University, graduating in 2014 with a J.D. and a certificate in Indigenous Law and Policy. In spring 2016 I will finish my LL.M. in Environmental Law from Vermont Law School. I passed the New Hampshire bar exam in July 2014 and was admitted to practice in that state. I am currently working at a non-profit in Alexandria, Virginia as the in-house immigration attorney. In my current position, I defend my clients in immigration court, opposing the Department of Homeland Security.

My experiences as a Classical Studies major greatly helped me through the law school process, and the bar exam. The skills I learned in the courses I took through the Classics department, particularly the skills I learned participating in the Socratic method, gave me a head start in law school. Focusing on the nuances of language in my Latin and Ancient Greek courses allowed me to quickly adapt to the demands of legal writing and put those skills to use for the English language. The work required presentations in the senior seminars, and oral learning expectations of the professors outside of the classroom prepared me for my current daily appearances in court. Looking back, these were especially invaluable to what I do today and took away the fear that I am sure I would feel if I had not been pushed by the professors to do my best, especially thinking on my feet, while at Bowdoin.

thumb: