Classics

Alex Moore ’03

After graduating from Bowdoin in 2003 with a major in Classics and a minor in Biology, I taught high school Latin for four years. My first teaching job was at the Salisbury School, a boys’ boarding school in the northwest corner of CT. After two years at Salisbury, I took a job at my high school alma mater, Buckingham Browne & Nichols School in Cambridge, MA.

My Bowdoin Classics major (which included a semester abroad in Rome at the Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies during my Junior spring) prepared me well for the demands of teaching high school Latin. At Salisbury School, I taught all levels of Latin, from I to V. At BB&N, 11 out of 12 students in my Virgil AP class received a 5 on the AP – a school record. (Of course, I had some excellent students!) I loved both of my teaching jobs, but at the same time, I wished to pursue a career in medicine (an interest that started at Bowdoin, encouraged by cross-country teammates, three of whom are also doctors now).

In the fall of 2007, I matriculated at Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans, LA. As a lifelong New Englander, it was interesting to live in a different part of the country, especially a place as vibrant as the Big Easy. In 2011, I graduated from Tulane with my M.D. and started my intern year at Newton-Wellesley Hospital, in Newton, MA. After completing my intern year, I began a three-year residency in Anesthesiology at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, MA. While at MGH, I also had the very good fortune of meeting my wife, Genevieve, who was a co-resident in anesthesia at the time. Genevieve was a biology major at Yale, but took Latin courses at Yale for fun, so she thought it was interesting that I had taught Latin.

I am currently in the midst of a one-year fellowship in pediatric anesthesiology at Boston Children’s Hospital. Following the fellowship, I hope to work in an academic teaching hospital in the Boston area, taking care of children and adults and teaching residents and fellows.

As an aside, my youngest sister, Louisa Moore, Bowdoin Class of 2018, is also a Classics major! She too has Professor Higginbotham as an advisor.

I had a wonderful experience during my four years beneath the pines and look forward to my next visit to Brunswick!

thumb: