Special Collections and Archives
Rare films documenting ornithological research done in the late 1920s and early 1930s by Bowdoin professor of biology Alfred Otto Gross, including previously unknown footage of the last surviving heath hen, have now been preserved, digitized, and published online thanks to support from the National Film Preservation Foundation.
Matthew Gilbert and Don Strawbridge from Greely Middle School spent hundreds of hours researching the Bowdoin archives as well as interviewing Sen. George Mitchell himself.
Cathi Belcher, a Harriet Beecher Stowe expert and the guide to the Stowe House is launching a new walking tour to show people the places in Brunswick that were important for Stowe as she worked on her novel, Uncle Tom’s Cabin.
The prolific illustrator and botanist Kate Furbish, whose work will be celebrated later this year at the Bowdoin College Museum of Art, is to have a local school named after her. Following a recent decision by the Brunswick school board, the town’s new elementary school, which is expected to open within the next three years, will […]
Check out this archive footage from Ivy Day, filmed on campus fifty years ago and shared recently by Bowdoin College Special Collections & Archives.
A historical highlight in the new exhibition is a first-edition copy of Isaac Newton’s 1704 book Opticks, or, A Treatise of the Reflections, Refractions, Inflections and Colours of Light, which radically changed people’s ideas about color. “Through Newton’s experiments, he was able to prove that light, rather than being devoid of color, is actually composed of the different spectral hues of the rainbow,” librarian Marieke Van Der Steenhoven said.
While the King Center in Atlanta, Georgia, holds the copyright to the speech Dr. Martin Luther King made in 1964 at Bowdoin, the College has permission to make the audio available online in conjunction with occasions such as the observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day and Black History Month.
A century after their return from four years in the Arctic, the journals and photographs from the 1913-1917 Crocker Land Expedition are now available through a new web portal as a result of a grant from The Gladys Kreible Delmas Foundation.