‘The Matter of Matter’ Show Opens with Art by Professor Jackie Brown

Jackie Brown, installation view

An installation by Jackie Brown, Bowdoin’s┬áMarvin H. Green, Jr. Assistant Professor of Art, will be featured in an upcoming show at the Center for Maine Contemporary Art in Rockland. The exhibition, Materiality: The Matter of Matter, opens this Saturday, Nov. 11, and runs through Feb. 11, 2018.

The show, which features a dozen artists, is an examination of how an artist uses materials, and why. “Today, many artists are looking to this question and seeking to find a balance between what they use to make work and the concepts behind them,” according to the gallery. “Providing agency to the materials themselves, artists are looking at materials as a means of communication, whether they are expanding on traditional media and narratives or utilizing everyday objects to construct new forms.”

Brown’s contribution to the show, called Mutated Growth, is a biomorphic sculpture installation that combines three previous installations into a new whole. “I am interested in the idea that changes on a small scale can powerfully shift living systems on a grand scale and by splicing my own imaginative systems together I hope to suggest limitless potential for uncharted growth and change,” she said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

thumb: