News Archive 2009-2018

Noah Lambie ’03 Short Wins at Oregon Film Fest Archives

The short experimental animation While You Were Out by Noah Lambie ’03 won Best Animation at the Oregon Independent Film Festival in Eugene, Oregon, on August 29. “While You Were Out is a hybrid film form,” Noah explains, “part documentary, part experimental, part animation, part musical.”

An infestation of originality, ‘While You Were Out’ follows a man’s reluctant retrieval of memories from trying times of violence, drugs, and loneliness.

The official movie site describes While You Were Out as “an infestation of originality [that] follows a man’s reluctant retrieval of memories from trying times of violence, drugs, and loneliness. The film uses a series of flip books in familiar piles of KENO slips, checkbooks, and instruction manuals to reveal an array of experiences and to explore the transitions between them. The audience is immediately involved in the film through the first person perspective. Forced into this role, the viewer becomes the overseer of the flip book memories and physical manipulator of the events. This new perspective presents a mesmerizing exposure to affairs that transcend common perceptions of space and time, and questions the assumed fluidity of our daily experiences.”

“I started messing with the intersection of film and photography in videos and installations at Bowdoin my senior year (I was an art/physics major),” says Noah, who teaches high school art and science in Oregon Coast and who counts as his film influences the work of South African film artist William Kentridge, introduced to him by Bowdoin professor Mark Wethli.

Noah’s current film project is called These Flowers.

thumb: