News Archive 2009-2018

Bridgett McCoy ’15 Among Women on the Bus for Safe Chemicals Archives

Bridgett McCoy '15

Bridgett McCoy '15

Bridgett McCoy ’15 was among more than two dozen women from Maine who boarded a bus bound for the nation’s capital earlier this week to tell lawmakers that dangerous chemicals don’t belong in their homes, their food and the products they use in everyday life. McCoy took part in the national day of action in support of the Safe Chemicals Act, which is under consideration in the U.S. Senate.

“It was a great chance to learn about activism at a national level, and chemicals policy is an issue that few people know about, but is extremely important,” says McCoy.

“Man-made chemicals are in almost everything we interact with on a daily basis and are virtually unregulated. I have been exposed to harmful chemicals in my food, soap, clothes, and so on my whole life, even though I am fortunate enough to afford ‘safer alternative’ products. I am lucky in that I have not experienced any negative health consequences as a result of these chemicals, but there are many who have. There needs to be a change in the way chemicals are regulated, and I hope that my participation in this day of lobbying can help make a difference.”

thumb: