Happy 207th Birthday, President Franklin Pierce

Franklin Pierce, the 14th president of the United States and a member of the Bowdoin College Class of 1824, was born on this day 207 years ago.

In addition to those claims to fame, Pierce remains the only president hailing from New Hampshire and, at Bowdoin, formed lasting friendships with writers who would go on to greatness of their own, Nathaniel Hawthorne and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

One thought on “Happy 207th Birthday, President Franklin Pierce

1. Jonathan Sims

I guess it’s only natural that Bowdoin College should publicize in some way, shape or form the fact that President Franklin Pierce was a Bowdoin graduate (Class of 1824.)

But I suspect there may be at least one or two Bowdoin professors (and a few history majors as well)who cringe at the thought of their wonderful school producing such a terrible President.

When it comes Franklin Pierce, I’m not quite sure which is worse: His support of the Kansas-Nebraska Act (not to mention the repugnant Ostend Manifesto)… or, his support of the Confederacy during our nation’s great tragedy?

In the end, perhaps it is of some solace that President Pierce was followed by someone even worse, James Buchanan, a graduate of Dickinson College, which is a very fine school in its own right, but one not likely to be confused with Bowdoin.

Jonathan Sims

Comments are closed.

thumb: