Bowdoin’s Mike Linkovich: ‘Trainer for all Seasons’ (Forecaster)

Mike Linkovich

Known around Farley Field House as “Link” or “Big Daddy,” Mike Linkovich has been a pillar of Bowdoin Athletics for more than a half century, serving as athletic trainer from 1954 until his so-called retirement in 1994 (he still volunteers many hours each week in the field house).

Bowdoin originally drew Linkovich away from Springfield College to serve as athletic trainer and soccer coach, but he would go on to become an honorary member of the Classes of 1958 and 1959, recipient of countless honors, and a trainer for the 1980 U.S. men’s “Miracle on Ice” hockey team in the Winter Olympic Games at Lake Placid.

Further proof that he is the link to all things Polar Bear, Linkovich trained Miracle on Ice team member Jack O’Callahan, whose son Aaron O’Callahan ’12 plays on Bowdoin’s hockey team.

David Treadwell ’64 pays tribute to this unsung hero and his 57 years at the College in this story for The Forecaster.

4 thoughts on “Bowdoin’s Mike Linkovich: ‘Trainer for all Seasons’ (Forecaster)

1. ted fuller '61

Thanks to the Bowdoin Sun for all the great articles you find. Link is indeed an institution at Bowdoin and one of the reasons all of us hold the college in such high regard. Ted Fuller ’61 lacrosse player taped up by Link on many occsasions.

2. Bobby Matthews '93

Great article. Link is dervedly a legend. Remember his treats (gum) as 9-year old at The Clinic and then stiching me 12 years later in the same rink.

3. Lee Dyer '56

Mike Linkovich is an absolute gem of a human being.Everybody who comes in contact with him loves the guy. My fond memories go back to my years playing football and baseball when he first began as trainer at Bowdoin in 1954. Any success I had pitching for Bowdoin College had to be related to those left arm rub downs with “hot stuff” I received from him in the old Pickard Field locker room. Isn’t it fortunate that his plans changed from being at Bowdoin for a just few years and then moving on…….See you at the Wesleyan-Bowdoin football game in Middletown next year, Link!

Comments are closed.

thumb: