Longfellow on ‘The Writer’s Almanac’ (NPR)

Garrison Keillor read “Birds of Passage” by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Class of 1825, this morning on The Writer’s Almanac. Longfellow was not only one of the most well-known writers of his day, but one of the most famous people in the world-a literary Michael Jordan. While he is not as widely read or studied as he was even a generation ago when legions of students were made to memorized his verse, Longfellow’s poems are still among the most often quoted, and many of his lines-or versions of them-remain part of our popular vernacular.

One thought on “Longfellow on ‘The Writer’s Almanac’ (NPR)

1. Erik Jorgensen

If you like Longfellow, I want to remind readers of Charles Calhoun’s fine biography of the poet, “Longfellow: a Rediscovered Life” which came out in 2004 or so.

Even though he can be a little syrupy at times, I still think the so-called “literary Michael Jordan” rarely commits a total foul or a double dribble – he’s such a pillar of Americana. I appreciate how even today, kids (at least in Portland’s Longfellow Elementary School) are introduced to poetry by reciting Longfellow.

Comments are closed.

thumb: