Openly Gay Lacrosse Captain, First Publicly Out NCAA Varsity Men’s Coach are ‘Opening Closet Doors’ (Outsports)

Ben Chadwick '11 (left), Colin Joyner '03

The stories of Ben Chadwick ’11, captain of Bowdoin’s lacrosse team and openly gay for more than two years, and men’s tennis head coach Colin Joyner ’03, reportedly the first NCAA varsity men’s head coach to come out of the closet publicly in the media while still coaching, are highlighted in an article that also shines the spotlight on Anything But Straight in Athletics, the program Joyner created with Kate Stern, director of Bowdoin’s Resource Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity.

4 thoughts on “Openly Gay Lacrosse Captain, First Publicly Out NCAA Varsity Men’s Coach are ‘Opening Closet Doors’ (Outsports)

1. Bill Kruse

Fine article from which other universities can lead. Coming out is an uncomfortable process in the Division I Varsity Athletics environment in which I work, and over sixteen years with the teams I feel that this closeting often has an over-all limiting effect on performance–there is plenty enough tension involved in being your absolute best in athletic performance without feeling a need to separate yourself from your coaches and team-mates.

Glad to see Bowdoin leading here!

2. Nancy Bergin DuMont '77

this is one of the best pieces of news to come out of Bowdoin in a long time. I am proud to be associated with this college.

Nancy B DuMont

3. Jane Kringdon

Congratulations and heartfelt thanks to Ben Chadwick, Colin Joyner and Kate Stern for their leadership both on and off the field. Bowdoin College is lucky to have you!

4. Andy Burke '83

As a Bowdoin alum and a father of a gay college-aged daughter, I was a little surprised at how homophobic it seems Bowdoin still is. Only one prominent gay athlete? Really? My daughter has taught me how normal gay can be, and her generation is so much more understanding and open about sexual orientation than mine certainly was. I can’t imagine that Bowdoin’s past as an all male college is a factor these days. As father I know first hand about the suffering a gay child experiences, and the agony of deciding to come out of the closet takes a toll, as Coach Joyner details. It is better and healthier for a young person to be out of the closet, proud of whom he or she is, even in the face of adversity. The courage of that child/person trumps the cowardice of the homophobe, and ultimately everyone realizes that. It seems that both Joyner and Chadwick were shocked at the acceptance they received by their peers. I find it sad that it took both of them so long to get there. Times have changed, but not fast enough!

Comments are closed.

thumb: