Former Bowdoin Coach Charlie Butt Wins U.S. Masters Squash Championship

Charlie Butt (at right) with Lee Engler, his opponent in the finals.

Former swimming and soccer coach Charlie Butt, a 2003 inductee into the Bowdoin Athletic Hall of Honor, added more hardware to his trophy case last weekend when he won the U.S. Masters Squash Championship at Harvard University. Playing in the Open Age Division (80+), Charlie won a trio of 3-0 matches to claim the title.

One of the best known, and most beloved squash players in the country, Butt was also honored with the Master’s Achievement Award at the championship in recognition of his lifetime dedication to the sport.

20 thoughts on “Former Bowdoin Coach Charlie Butt Wins U.S. Masters Squash Championship

1. Peter Finn

Congratulations, Charlie! Must be the great training from our noon time basketball games with Sid, Ray, Linc, & Kosty.

2. John Samp '69

Keep up the good work! I hope to see you winning the title when you’re 90 as well.

3. Mickey Rabinovitz '57

Great to hear but not much of a surprise. Charlie is the most skilled squash player I ever encountered and only his humility exceeds his talent. It was my privilege to play with him once in a while and learn from him when I lived in Maine.

4. Michelle Campagna Chaffin '91

Congrats to you, Charlie! Glad to hear you are still doing well and succeeding at everything you do.

5. Hubert S. Shaw, Jr.

Coach, congratualtions on your great achievement. You are truly an inspiration as a model for physical fitness and achievement in athletics as a player and a great coach. Hugh Shaw ’65

6. John E. Bowman, '76

Many Congrats Charlie!! How the heck do you do it?? pls send out any dietary/training tips!! jb

7. Rick Barr

Dear Charlie,

Fantastic going. I have counseling practice with men all over the country (thanks to Skype) who are in the latter half of their lives who don’t seem to understand that life begins at 65, and for Moses at age 80. My father retired at age 57, died of colon cancer at 81. Or that is what the coroner said. I say he died of retirement, and had no burning bush.

(I have been remarried since 2000 Frances Robertson Howe who was formerly married to a swim student of yours from Piping Rock Country Club on Long Island William Howe). It is a small world.
    Rick Barr

8. Allen Johnson from Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Charlie…great reading about your continued sucess and my congratulations to you.
    I have’nt played competivetly in probably 18-19 years…since I was ranked #2 in the 65 age group. Had both knees replaced about 9 years ago and don’t play at all. Really miss the game. Doing well otherwise at age 84!

Would love to hear from you if you get a chance…by e-mail or phone at 954-536-8521. Allen

9. Mel Damski

Charlie Butt
    You were a tough wrestling coach at Roslyn High School. Thought about you recently when I directed a movie, Legendary, about high school wrestling.

You make 80 look very good. I recently worked with William Shatner, who at 80 is a champion horseman. Great to see you guys still kicking butt. (pun intended).
    Mel

Comments are closed.

thumb: