Bowdoin Students, Alumni Prepare to Run Boston Marathon

At least two current Bowdoin students, and a number of alumni, will be among the estimated 27,000 entrants in the 115th running of the Boston Marathon.

Women’s ice hockey captain Chelsea Young ’11 and Matt Spring ’13, a member of Bowdoin’s national champion curling team, will make the 26.2-mile trek from Hopkinton to Boston on Patriots’ Day, April 18.

Spring, whose mother was diagnosed with breast cancer more than two years ago, is running to raise money as part of the Dana Farber Marathon Challenge. Spring tells the Westborough Patch, “After seeing what she went through, this motivated me to raise money for cancer research.

Olympic gold medalist marathoner Joan Benoit Samuelson ’79, who set a Boston Marathon record as a senior at the College, returns to the historic race for the first time since 1993.

Here’s a running list of other students, alums, and faculty who’ll be kicking it up Heartbreak Hill on Monday: Tim Warren ’70, Will Thomas ’03, Dan Hall ’05, Rebekah Mueller ’07, Kevin Mullins ’07, Nate Krah ’08, Amy Ahearn ’08, Amanda Allens ’09, Emma Reilly ’09, NIck Smith ’09, Colman Hatton ’10, Henry Macnamera ’13, Jason Klaitman ’97, Lynn Keeley Daoust ’92, Howie Powers ’84, Claire Discenza ’05, Matthew McCall ’08, and Associate Professor of History David Gordon.

4 thoughts on “Bowdoin Students, Alumni Prepare to Run Boston Marathon

1. Frank Strasburger P'07, P'08

Just wanted to add to your list of names of alumni and students running in the Boston Marathon that of my future daughter-in-law, Rebekah Mueller ’07, who is running on behalf of Bottom Line, the agency for which my son Justin Strasburger ’07 works. Bottom Line helps disadvantaged kids to get into college, graduate, and find employment after college. The last time I looked, Rebekah was the biggest fundraiser on Bottom Line’s marathon team. She and Justin will be married in Cambridge Saturday, May 28th (Bowdoin’s Commencement Day).

Comments are closed.

thumb: