Video: Jess Taverna ’00 Featured on ‘Great White Icicle’

Bowdoin Outing Club alumna Jess Taverna ’00 is featured prominently in a Petzl video promoting the company’s new line of ice axes. (See her first around the poker table, and then climbing at 00:52.)

“I’d love to tell you that it was my sick climbing skills that got me into the video,” she quipped to a Daily Sun inquiry, “but the reality is that I have an insider connection. My husband, Rick Vance (also featured in the vid, in the poker scenes and the Nomic section), is Petzl America’s technical director. The company…needed someone who would be comfortable enough on lead to work with/around the cameras and get the necessary footage. I was lucky to get the call, and showed off the Quarks [ice axes] on Great White Icicle, a 3-4 pitch route (depending how you do it) in Little Cottonwood Canyon just outside Salt Lake City.”

In the video, along with the clips around the poker table, Jess is also seen diving away from a chunk of falling ice at 04:43 as she belays Rick on route called Cobble Cruncher in Maple Canyon in central Utah.

Jess adds that Nazz Kurth ’91 is Petzl America’s sales director, and that Rick worked with yet another Bowdoin grad, Andy Guss ’91, at his previous job. “Small, small world!”

thumb: