Photo Gallery: Bowdoin’s New Curling Team Wins National Championship

Bowdoin’s curling team, which came together only months ago, clinched the national title for its division Sunday, March 13, at the 2011 National College Curling Championships in Chicago. An injury left the team a member short. “With only one person brushing, it meant we had to be much more accurate for every one of our shots,” says team founder Carl Spielvogel ’13. “St. Scholastica (3rd place) and Tennessee (2nd place) were the most intense and skilled teams we’ve ever come across. It was a thrill to play with them, and we can’t wait for next year to play with them again.”

9 thoughts on “Photo Gallery: Bowdoin’s New Curling Team Wins National Championship

1. Robert Armstrong

Congratulations! I never thought that I would see a curling team at Bowdoin. I curled for a number of years in the Boston area and enjoyed the sport and companionship greatly and even traveled to a number of bonspiels, but never competed as you have done.

Congratulations again,

Bob Armstrong, ’71
    Camden, ME

2. Steve Nelson

Congratulations Polar Bear curlers! I believe most of you are fairly new to the sport and that is a long commute to Belfast, so I am very impressed with your dedication and hard work. I am an avid curler from Broomstones Curling Club in Wayland Mass, if you’re ever in the area, stop by.

3. Martha Balas

Fabulous job! Perhaps other New England colleges will catch the bug If ever on Cape Cod stop by our curling club in Falmouth

4. Scott Adelman MD '84

Congratulations! Even though I grew up in Maine, I didn’t start curling until this year as part of “Stone Cold Curling” in Park City, Utah (www.stonecoldcurling.com). Your rapid rise to success is to be recognized as an incredible accomplishment! Look forward to following the teams future.

Comments are closed.

thumb: