Video: Camera Implanted in Head of NYU Prof in Name of Art (CNN)

Artist and NYU professor Wafaa Bilal had a camera surgically implanted onto his head for an art project called “The 3rd I.” The images captured will be broadcast to the Arab Museum of Modern Art in Qatar. Ironically, despite the project’s aims to address both the ubiquity of cameras in our lives and the resulting lack of privacy, Bilal will be required to wear a lens cap when on campus.

2 thoughts on “Video: Camera Implanted in Head of NYU Prof in Name of Art (CNN)

1. Mark Lesser

That’s a difference between an artist and a scientist. The scientist would have planted the camera on the front of his head.

2. Peter H. Dragonas, M. D.

This experiment is not very practical. It reminds me of the “LOOK AT ME SYNDROME”: tattooing, piercing, or adding to the skin anything and everything demanding attention from others. Meant to medicate a suffering ego. It is only art to the self-originator, or to anyone wishing to interpret this body violation as a source of creative insight into the natural or surreal. Let us consider Dr. Kathryn Colby, M. D.* and her colleagues at Boston’s Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, and view the blind patient who can now see because they have a micro-micro telescope implanted into the lens-space of their eye. Now they can read, watch television amd interpret their surroundings. Wow, Art and Science, benefiting mankind and someday the animal world. This, I would like to see up close and feel good and positive! A true triumph of hard work for “THE COMMON GOOD”! Art and Science expressed through the human dimemsion. * Dr. Colby worked with a team of Opthalmologists from around United States. We shall hear more in the future as more and more sight is restored to blind persons the world over. Manhattan, NY,NY Dec 14. 2010

Comments are closed.

thumb: