Video: Prof. Jean Yarbrough on 2010 Midterm Elections (C-SPAN)

Jean Yarbrough, Bowdoin’s Gary M. Pendy Sr. Professor of Social Sciences, chaired a panel on midterm elections at the American Political Science Association annual conference in Washington, D.C. The panel discussion was carried by C-SPAN2.

One thought on “Video: Prof. Jean Yarbrough on 2010 Midterm Elections (C-SPAN)

1. Geoff Gordon

At street level, this next election is about frustration with leaders who are so disengaged with Main Street that they can’t begin to understand the problems people are facing, nor even ask the right questions.

I’m a small business owner who has been villified by the President for competing daily in my community for customers to my small business; when he says over Labor Day “anyone who thinks we can move this economy forward with a few doing well at the top, hoping it’ll trickle down to working folks running faster and faster just to keep up—they just haven’t studied our history. We didn’t become the most prosperous country in the world by rewarding greed and recklessness,” I know he’s after my business.

We know this kind of incendiary rhetoric is directed to the country’s most profitable (translation: well run) small businesses, and NOT to FNMA or FHLIC where greed and recklessness were institutionalized. These huge institutions with dirty Washington connections were left alone in the so-called Financial Serices Reform bill…so Dodd and Frank design a new regulatory structure for the well-connected, and taxes go up for the hardest working Americans (yes, again I’m talking about small business owners).

They pass a $814 Billion wealth transfer bill and suggest a multiplier effect of 1.5? Huh? Who are they listening to? Who is providing this kind of economic analysis? Where’s Paul Krugman these days?

Here in Massachusetts, we’ve seen the frustration come alive when the incompetent, elitist lifetime government worker, Martha Coakley, expected a Senatorial coronation; and the people voted NO. The energy here in Massachusetts remains, and at street level, I’ve never seen people this hot about politics.

This is a great example of democracy taking control back. God help the country if we can’t.

Comments are closed.

thumb: