First-Person, First-Year: Molly Fargeorge ’14

Student: Molly Fargeorge
Hometown: Newburyport, Mass.

What classes are you taking?
I’m taking Intro to Calculus, Ancient Philosophy, The Souls of Animals –  which is a really cool philosophy class – and Chemistry 109.

That’s quite a load for your first term!
A lot of my friends are taking much more intense loads, a lot have biology and chemistry, which I think is crazy, but ….

So far, which is your favorite class?
The Souls of Animals, which is taught by Prof. Stuart. It’s so different than anything I took in high school. We’ve been talking about the ethics of eating animals, whether we believe that they have souls, and if they do, whether it’s ethical to eat them. And what our responsibilities are if we do.

Are you thinking you’ll be some kind of science major?
I’m thinking pre-med with a philosophy minor.

What is the most challenging part in adjusting to Bowdoin so far?
There’s a lot of reading, but all the reading I’ve done so far is extremely interesting. Although we get a lot more assignments than I’m used to in high school, it’s almost like pleasure reading. But it’s difficult managing time, because I’ll be walking back from a class and I’m supposed to do my homework and I’ll look out on the grass and say, “Well, I could just take a nap on the Quad …” and then you’re doing homework at 12 at night.

What is your biggest takeaway from your first weeks at school?
I think the sheer volume of people you meet, and the access to them. All of my friends are within 1,000 feet from my dorm, so we constantly have people coming through or I’ll go to a dorm room down the hall to study with them. It’s not really a large experience, but it’s different than what I’m used to.

Maybe the biggest thing that happened to me was, I was talking to my roommate today and I said, “Okay, I’m going to head home,” instead of saying, “I’m heading back to the dorm.” So I guess it’s starting to feel like home …

4 thoughts on “First-Person, First-Year: Molly Fargeorge ’14

1. Vincent Buscemi

Miss you!..let me know if there are any animals that do not have souls, then I can eat them and not worry about the ethical considerations. 🙂

Comments are closed.

thumb:Bowdoin College entrance