Polar Bears Gain NCAA Bid After Heartbreaking Loss in the NESCAC Title Game

The Bowdoin College men’s ice hockey team lost a heartbreaker to Middlebury on Sunday afternoon 3-2 in the NESCAC Championship Game at Watson Arena, but earned an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament in pairings announced Sunday night.

Sunday’s game against Middlebury closed a highly successful first full season for the Polar Bears in the Watson Arena, named for Bowdoin hockey legend Sidney J. Watson. After the game, Head Coach Terry Meagher reflected on how the weekend served as a fitting tribute to his mentor and friend.

The Polar Bears (19-6-1), who finished first in the NESCAC Regular Season standings, will travel to play at Oswego State in the quarterfinals of the Division III Tournament on Saturday, March 13. Game time and ticket information will be available on Monday. Bowdoin will be making their third NCAA Tournament appearance overall and their first since 2002. Oswego, the 2007 National Champions, won the SUNYAC (State University of New York Athletic Conference) and are 25-2-0 this season, ranking second in the latest Division III poll.

2 thoughts on “Polar Bears Gain NCAA Bid After Heartbreaking Loss in the NESCAC Title Game

1. Dale Tomlinson

I wish the Polar Bears good luck! I live close to the town of Oswego — and worked there for years — so I will try to be there. Can’t say I think much of Oswego State as an academic institution (unless you are studying meteorology), but they do have a great hockey team. Still, they can be beaten! Go get ’em!

2. Poly Rounds

Had a great time a the semi- finals. Got together with Ken Clarke ’78, Ken Elowe”78 and John Leeming ’78 to relive the ECAC championship games of the late 70’s. Still as exciting as ever but don’t we sing Phi Chi anymore?

Comments are closed.

thumb: